Best Low Acid Coffee
Drinking coffee is an enjoyable part of your daily routine. There’s nothing like slowly taking a sip of your favorite drink while starting your day, reading a book, or watching the sunset.
But then, coffee can be too acidic for you. It may aggravate certain conditions, such as acid reflux and heartburn.
Fret not! We are here to help you. We will present to you the best low acid coffee brands that you can enjoy without worries.
Read our Best Low Acid Coffee Review to find out.
Our Best Low Acid Coffee for 2021
- Puroast Low Acid Ground Coffee, House Blend, High Antioxidant, 2.5 Pound Bag - (Editors choice - High Quality)
- Java Planet, Organic Coffee Beans, Colombian Single Origin, Low Acid - (Runner Up) - (Runner Up)
- HealthWise Low Acid Coffee, 100% Colombian Supremo, 12 Ounce - (Amazing product)
- Tyler’s No Acid Organic Ground Coffee - 100% Arabica Full Flavor - Neutral pH - (Great Product)
- Lucy Jo's Coffee, Organic Mellow Belly Low Acid Blend, Ground, 11 oz (11 OZ) - (Affordable Product)
Puroast Low Acid Ground Coffee, House Blend, High Antioxidant, 2.5 Pound Bag
Puroast coffee originated in the Venezuelan Andes. They boast about their roasting process, which is similar to the approach coffee growers use in coffee plantations.
Puroast makes their coffee by slowly roasting coffee beans in small batches, under low temperature. This produces smooth and aromatic, low-acid coffee.
Puroast coffee also contains more antioxidants than green tea and other leading coffee brands.
- Contains 70% less acid than others.
- Seven times higher in antioxidants than tea.
- 100% pure coffee. No additives or extractions.
- Aromatic and smooth taste. Not bitter.
- Coffee beans are grown at high elevations.
- No chemical or pesticide.
- Easy to drink for those afflicted with acid reflux, heartburn, and other related issues.
- Environment-friendly and uses renewable technology in roasting.
- Not as strong as regular coffee.
- High price.
Java Planet, Organic Coffee Beans, Colombian Single Origin, Low Acid
Java Planet is a family-owned and operated coffee roaster In Tampa, Florida established in 2009.
Java Planet promotes a healthy body and a healthy planet. Their coffees are certified Fair Trade, Bird Friendly, and Rain Forest Alliance.
Java Planet uses 100% Arabica coffee grown at a higher-level elevation, without chemicals or GMOs. They roast organic coffee beans in small batches to ensure quality and flavor. Its medium dark roast will provide a full-body, balanced-flavor, and mild acidity in your cup.
- Colombian Arabica beans.
- Medium-Dark Roast.
- Good source of antioxidants.
- Rich, full-flavored, and aromatic coffee.
- No pesticide or chemical.
- Rainforest Alliance Certified.
- USDA Certified.
HealthWise Low Acid Coffee, 100% Colombian Supremo, 12 Ounce
HealthWise uses high-grade Colombian Supremo Arabica beans for their coffee products. They roast their coffee in small batches to ensure consistency and product quality.
They also use the TechnoRoasting process to eliminate acids and boost nutrients. The process does not involve any additives, making it safe for sensitive stomachs. The process also lessens bitterness, which gives their coffee blend a rich and mellow flavor.
- Low in acid.
- 100% Colombian Supremo Arabica beans.
- Reduce heartburn and stomach conditions.
- High level of beneficial vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients.
- Rich and mellow flavor.
- Not bitter.
- Kosher-certified and Vatican-endorsed.
- Quite expensive.
Tyler’s No Acid Organic Ground Coffee - 100% Arabica Full Flavor - Neutral pH
Tyler’s coffee was founded in 2004 by Tyler Ornstein. It claims to be the world’s first acid-free coffee, recommended by the doctor for people with low acid diets. The coffee is organic and produced from 100% Arabica beans from Chiapas, Mexico.
They also have their so-called Z-Roasting process, which strips away harmful acids, thus enhancing the flavor and aroma of their coffee blend and producing acid-free coffee.
- 100% Arabica coffee from Mexico.
- Organic and acid-free.
- Neutral pH level.
- Safe for sensitive stomachs.
- Doctor recommended for those with low acid diets.
- Protects your teeth, improves digestion, and reduces heartburn.
- Full flavor.
- No adverse effects.
- Quite expensive.
Lucy Jo's Coffee, Organic Mellow Belly Low Acid Blend, Ground, 11 oz (11 OZ)
Lucy Jo’s Roastery is a family-run coffee roastery situated in New York. Their hands-on approach to coffee roasting combined with organic Arabica beans made Lucy Jo’s Coffee low in acid with sweet, smooth, and earthy flavor.
They use organic Arabica green coffee beans obtained from Brazil and Indonesia. They also roast their coffee in small batches to ensure quality and flavor.
- Organic low acid ground coffee.
- 100% Arabica Beans from Brazil and Indonesia.
- Sweet, smooth, and earthy flavor.
- Medium-dark roast.
- Certified organic by NOFA-NY LLC.
- Roasted by hand in small batches in Lucy Jo’s family-run facility.
- Easy on the stomach.
- The coffee flavor is not as strong as regular coffee.
How to Choose the Best Low Acid Coffee
Choosing the best low acid coffee can be tricky. So, we listed here some tips so you can come up with the best choice.
- Select coffee labeled as low acid.
- Go for dark roast coffee.
- Pick coarsely ground coffee.
- Cold-brew your coffee.
- Brew your coffee longer to help neutralize acidity.
Here are some key points you should consider when choosing low acid coffee brands.
Dark Roast Coffee
Lighter roasts tend to contain a higher amount of acid. So, it would make sense to go for darker roast coffee. Dark roast coffee can also improve liver health and lower the risk of dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancer.
Cold brewed coffee is less acidic than hot brewed coffee. It can boost metabolism, enhance your mood, and reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes. It can also be easier on your stomach than hot coffee.
Low Acid Coffee Beans
Another factor to consider when choosing low acid coffee is its place of origin. Less acidic coffee beans grow naturally in some areas, such as Sumatra, Brazil, and Nicaragua.
Water can also affect the acidity of your coffee. Using alkaline water for brewing your coffee would make a difference from using tap water. Alkaline water has minerals that can help neutralize the acidity and bitterness in coffee.
What Are the Benefits of Drinking Low Acid Coffee?
You might want to know what benefits low acid coffee has in store for you. So, here are some of them.
Prevents Upset Stomach
Low acid coffee can be a good option for people with sensitive stomach. It can reduce risks of heartburn, acid reflux, and other health conditions.
Protects your Teeth
Another benefit of drinking low acid coffee is that it protects your teeth. The acid content in acidic coffees can strip away the enamel of your teeth. Acidic coffees can also cause stains on your teeth. But drinking low acid coffee can let you prevent these issues.
Low acid coffee can still taste great. Dark roast and cold brew are good options. These two have low acid content, and both have that great flavor you can enjoy.
How to Cold Brew Coffee
Since cold brew coffee has less acid and offers good benefits, you might want to know how to make it. Here are the steps.
- Fill a mesh bag with coarsely ground coffee. Fasten it close, so the coffee is secured inside.
- Combine the mesh bag and water in a jar or container. Add some cold water according to your liking.
- Store it in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. You can also try different brew times to match your desired results.
- Remove the mesh bag from the jar. Squeeze it over the container to extract the coffee concentrate and its flavor.
- Add hot water to the coffee concentrate to dilute it. You can also add ice if you want to drink iced coffee.
- Keep the remaining coffee concentrate and store it in the refrigerator. It can last for up to two weeks.
How to Reduce Acidity in Coffee
The acid in coffee may upset your stomach and trigger some health conditions. Here are some ways to reduce acid in your coffee.
Add Milk or Cream
Milk and cream are rich in calcium. It can help neutralize and reduce acidity in coffee. It works well when paired with dark roast coffee.
Add Baking Soda or Salt
Baking soda and salt can also make your coffee less acidic. You can add salt to your coffee to reduce the bitterness and acidity. Baking soda is an alkaline that can help neutralize the acid in coffee.
It can be surprising that eggshells also made it to the list. Eggshells contain alkaline calcium, which can reduce acidity levels in the coffee.
Regulate Water Temperature
Hot brewing can make coffee more acidic. You need to control the temperature of the water to lower acid levels in your coffee. Avoid brewing your coffee at extreme heat. Thus, cold brewing is preferable.
Go for Dark Roast Coffee
Roast levels can also affect the acidity of your coffee. Light roasts tend to be more acidic than dark roasts. If you are looking for less acidic coffee, you should go for medium or dark roast coffee.
Our top pick for low acid coffee is Lucy Jo's Coffee, Organic Mellow Belly Low Acid Blend. This coffee has the key points that we are looking for in a low acid coffee.
Lucy Jo’s Coffee is organic and 100% Arabica. The beans are sourced from Brazil and Indonesia, where less acidic coffee grows naturally.
The roasting process is done in small batches by hand to ensure optimum flavor and quality. Lucy Jo’s Coffee is a medium-dark roast. Thus, less acidic and gentle on the stomach.
Lucy Jo’s Coffee is organic and family-operated. They also boast of providing the freshest roasted coffee available. They are currently slowly bringing their coffee products to a larger audience.
So, even if you have a sensitive stomach, you can still enjoy your cup of coffee without compromising flavor and quality.
Choose from our list of low acid coffee to keep you guided on brands that are worth trying. Enjoy your favorite coffee without worries!