Best Cool Coffee Tables
Best Cool Coffee Tables
No seating arrangement is ever complete without a coffee table. Believe me, I’ve tried. When my old coffee table broke, I decided not to replace it. But it ended when my partner placed a stool in the middle of the room. A stool! Can you believe it? So I went out to hunt for a cool coffee table. If you’re wondering how to shop for one too, you’ve come to the right place.
Read our Best Cool Coffee Tables Reviews to find out.
Our Best Cool Coffee Tables for 2021
- HOMFA Modern Console Table Coffee Table 2-tier - (Editors choice - High Quality)
- Convenience Concepts SoHo Coffee Table, Weathered Gray / Glass - (Runner up)
- WLIVE Wood Lift Top Coffee Table with Hidden Storage Compartment - (Amazing Price)
- SMARTIK 1/2 Inch Thicken Tempered Glass Coffee Tables - (Affordable Product)
- Anya & Niki StyleCraft Badang Carving Natural Wood Edge Teak Contemporary Coffee Cocktail Table - (Great Product)
HOMFA Modern Console Table Coffee Table 2-tier
- Made from eco-friendly and non-toxic materials. The uppermost shelf and one side panel are oak finished. The other parts are finished in white paint.
- The contrasting two-tone color looks sophisticated. The design is practical and clean, yet sleek and modern.
- The table is lacquer finished, which makes it easy to clean.
- The storage is spacious enough to accommodate the usual clutter. And the open shelf storage makes it easier to locate things.
- This coffee table is quite affordable for its size range and design.
- The instruction manual it came with was a bit vague. The illustrations are quite small and unreadable. Because of this, the assembly took some time.
- Not sturdy enough for houses with young children and/or pets.
- The screws are short while the pre-drilled holes are long. This makes the pieces easy to rip off.
- The legs are a bit wobbly.
- The quality of the materials used is a bit poor. The side panels were a bit thin and can flake easily.
Convenience Concepts SoHo Coffee Table, Weathered Gray / Glass
- There are various options to choose from for the top. All the designs are sleek and modern looking. It is also versatile enough to complement any room.
- The tabletop is also relatively easy to clean with just a wipe.
- The legs are made from thick tempered glass and support the table well.
- The middle shelf is designed to hide things from one side. It is also strong enough to hold a few various items.
- Considering the design and the quality, this table is a great buy.
- The table becomes wobbly when you remove the middle shelf. I honestly think that this table would look even prettier without the middle shelf. But I guess the middle shelf adds another layer of security.
- It is quite a challenge to assemble alone, especially when you are about to attach the middle shelf. The instructions are also a bit confusing.
- This is not stated in the instructions, but a bit of wood glue would help a lot in attaching the wood pieces.
WLIVE Wood Lift Top Coffee Table with Hidden Storage Compartment
- The lift top surface works smoothly, and is very sturdy, thanks to the gas springs. The extended table height is suitable for working.
- The sliding side drawer offers additional table space.
- The hidden storage is spacious. It can fit a laptop, a mini projector, remotes, and more.
- The surface is lacquer finished and easy to clean.
- The assembly is not as easy as it sounds in the manual. The instructions are very detailed but you need to have a lot of patience. When assembling, have someone nearby to assist you when the need arises.
- The corners can be a bit pointy. They are not sharp enough to cut, but this could be problematic if you have little children in the house. You could always childproof the corners.
- The side drawer doesn't align. This annoys my OCD a lot so I tried to manhandle the sliding tracks a bit, which thankfully did the trick.
- It is heavy. This is not real wood but it is heavy and moving it to and fro is a nightmare.
- As I said earlier, this is not real wood. So there’s always a possibility that the finish would flake or crack over time.
SMARTIK 1/2 Inch Thicken Tempered Glass Coffee Tables
- The tabletop has rounded corners and the legs come with a corner protector.
- The overall look of the table is great. It is a jointless, single slab of glass, which makes it more elegant. The waterfall edge makes it sleeker and well defined.
- No assembly is required.
- The glass is thick and sturdy enough for everyday use.
- It is on the heavy side, but moving it is quite easy.
- The packaging is great. It was properly wrapped with styrofoam and came in a wooden box.
- The glass is not as diaphanous as I would like. There are certain areas with a greenish tinge.
- The legs could scrape the floors if you use it without the corner protector.
- The height of the table is a bit low.
- No storage space.
Anya & Niki StyleCraft Badang Carving Natural Wood Edge Teak Contemporary Coffee Cocktail Table
- Unique. No two tables are 100% identical. The shape varies, and it is quite thrilling if you're buying it online because you don't know what shape you'll get.
- The table is already pre-drilled so all you need to do is to secure the legs with a screwdriver and you're done. Easiest to assemble ever.
- Surprisingly leveled. I was hesitant at first because it is a wood slab, but it came out pretty leveled and it’s a big plus.
- The table is heavy and on the thick side. It also seems durable enough. The top is lacquer sealed which makes this fairly water-resistant.
- The packaging is lackluster and needs improvement. The hairpin legs are a bit pointy and if not packaged properly, they could damage the whole box.
- Some of the pre-drilled holes don't match with the legs. While this is annoying, it could easily be remedied by drilling another hole. Just make sure to use the legs as a guide, so you won't have to repeat.
- There are minor scratches on the edge of the table.
- Since it is a natural wood slab, it may have pointy edges. And if you have children in the house, you might think twice before choosing this.
- No storage space.
Things to Ponder When Buying a Coffee Table
There is a quite a few things to keep in mind when buying a coffee table. First of all, you need to consider the people who would share the coffee table with you. Do you have kids or pets that love to jump around? If you do, choose a coffee table that is sturdy enough to survive the ruckus of your loved ones. You should also consider a piece that is child friendly or something that you could childproof but still looks stylish.
Overall Aesthetic and Size of the Room
Keep in mind the size and overall aesthetic of the room and the other furniture. Ask yourself if you want the coffee table as a focal point of the room or if you want it to blend in with its surrounding. If you want it to blend in, look for a coffee table that matches your room. If you want it as a centerpiece, try something that contrasts the overall aesthetic of your room.
Determining who will use, and the design theme of the room will help you narrow down which material to look for in a coffee table.
- Wood – Wooden coffee tables are sturdy and solid. Look for one that is sealed finish to prevent stains and scratches, and to make cleaning easier. Most wooden coffee tables are built with shelves and drawers. These types of coffee tables best suit rustic or country-inspired rooms.
- Wicker and rattan - Coffee tables made from these are lightweight and durable. This would look perfect in rustic, eclectic, or bohemian aesthetic. Wicker and rattan also make good choices for outdoor coffee tables. The nooks and crannies of this coffee table can make it hard to clean.
- Glass – A glass coffee table exudes a certain aura of elegance. This type of coffee table makes a cramped space roomier and is the easiest type to clean. If you're aiming for minimalistic, elegant, or modern vibes, opt for a glass coffee table. For a trendier approach, choose a mirror topped coffee table instead of just glass. Although if you have rambunctious kids or pets around, this may not work for you. Glass is very fragile and it may have edges that could cut.
- Acrylic and marble – these types of coffee tables are in style right now because of their versatility. They can be styled to fit any aesthetic. Upkeep is minimal as they are fairly easy to clean and almost scratch resistant.
Dimensions of the Coffee table
As a rule of thumb, the coffee table should be about 2/3 or ¾ of the length of the sofa. Any longer than that and it would dwarf your sofa. The height of the coffee table should be the same as the height of the sofa seat or 2” lower. Anything higher or lower makes it uncomfortable to reach the coffee table from the sofa seat. Make sure that there is enough legroom of about 18" between the coffee table and the surrounding seating.
The Shape of the Coffee Table
Rectangle – Rectangular coffee tables offers ample space and are best paired with large and long sofas.
2. Circular – Circle and oval shaped coffee tables are perfect for those who have children. They are also easy to move around with, and promote balance. Circular coffee tables are best paired with love seats and single seat sofas.
3. Square – Square shaped coffee tables are the most practical coffee table. They add unity to an otherwise sparse and spaced out room. These are best for rooms with large seating.
4. Free form – these are uniquely shaped coffee tables. These pieces offer versatility and quirkiness to any room aesthetic. These are often one of a kind pieces usually made from wood, marble glass, and mirror.
Additional Functions and Features
Coffee tables can be multifunctional like any other furniture. Tables with shelves and/or drawers offer extra storage. A lift top surface feature not only functions as an additional space, but it is also great for people who work or eat at the coffee table. Wheeled coffee tables allow for easy transport when you need to clear the center for other things.
Alternatives to Coffee Table
Upholstered coffee tables are versatile pieces that function both as a coffee table and extra seating. Ottoman and chests are the most common alternatives to the coffee table. As an added feature, the ottoman and chests offer some storage room. Leather and or faux leather are commonly used to upholster these pieces. They are relatively easy to clean and are very versatile.
Nesting Coffee Table
These come in a set of 2 to 3 separate tables with varying dimensions. This is a radical style approach to the traditional coffee table. Consider this if you have ample space in your room.
There is a lot more styles and designs of coffee tables to choose from. But for me, the main factors I consider are design and practicality. Overall, two tables live up to my scrutiny.
WLIVE’s Lift top Coffee table is something to consider for your living room. The design is neat, practical and clean. The wood and metal combination matches any modern and traditional room. And because of the lift top surface, this piece can also double as a work desk. It has an ample amount of storage. The corners can be childproofed. The moving part works well and noiselessly. It is also sturdy enough to withstand boisterous children and pets. The assembly might be hard but the finished product is worth it.
But, based on design alone, I like Smartik’s Glass Coffee Table. This coffee table offers nothing except for its beauty. Consider this table if you want something that is both elegant and unassuming. This piece highlights the room’s aesthetic more than itself. As this is made of glass, place this in a room away from children and pets. So if you have a formal room with a nice carpet and a well-curated seating arrangement, this piece might be the one for you.